Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Little Miss Resourcefulness



Poor Savannah. The girl is always left with no pillow to rest her head upon. It's not that we've never bought one for her, its just that everyone takes it. The fact is that in the Gibson home pillows are something that everyone wants, but for some reason no one can ever seem to find. Everyone started out with two pillows, except for mom, because I need six pillows to get comfy with at night and I don't share! Anyhow, I've carefully guarded my pillows and it wasn't hard to do. It took a little bit of time to get use to the zip strips and steel cables that held my pillows in place, but after a week or so I was finally able to memorize the combination to the pad lock and that made moving my pillows around in the middle of the night much faster.

I just don't understand why the kids can't seem to keep track of their pillows. I've offered to cable them to their beds, but they just look at me like I'm crazy or something. My main concern is where could all of these missing pillows have gone? I've long ago excepted the mystery of the sock monster who lives somewhere under my dryer and helps himself to our socks each and every time I do a load of laundry. Something like that is very easy to comprehend, but missing pillows is a completely different thing. Perhaps the sock monster has moved on to bigger and better things, like pillows. That's possible, isn't it? Nonetheless poor Savannah seems to be an easy target for the little Sock Stealing Pillow Snatching Monster. She's been without a pillow for nearly 2 months now and she's explained (or complained) to me several times about the dangerous medical problems that she may be forced to live with for the rest of her life as a direct result of having to sleep without a pillow. (who would have known that sleeping without a pillow could cause bad grades on spelling tests and a crooked big toe?)

Luckily Savannah's resourceful thinking wasn't harmed by the pillowless nights. As soon as she saw the mess that her little brother had made with the paper shredder, she ran off and then returned with an empty pillowcase. She quickly gathered up as much shredded paper as her pillowcase could hold and then began to sew the end shut. Finally after a few near-fatal misses with the sewing needle and a box of Band Aids, all is well for Savannah. She claims that her pillow is the best one that she's ever had. I guess now her spelling scores will be improving and her crooked big toe will straighten out. Let's just pray that the S.S.P.S monster finally leaves poor little Savannah's pillow alone.

No comments: