Saturday, December 26, 2009

The ROCK















Picture 1: Heading to "The Rock."

Picture 2: The machine shop and electrical shop.


Picture 3: Trying to get everyone to smile. (I will photo-shop my low hanging shirt later)


Picture 4: Taylor and Hudson on the steps in the rec yard. This is where that famous scene in the movie "Escape from Alcatraz" is filmed. The part when Clint Eastwood climbs the stairs to sit by the black dude.


Picture 5: The same steps in the rec yard.
Sadly the weather turned bad today. Yesterday it was 65* outside. Well hopefully the weather will get warmer as we travel further south.
***It's not that we're all trying to look hip in the pictures with headphones on, but rather they are devices that they hand out for the audio tour. They were great and made it sound like we were at the prison during its operational times. They had former inmates & guards tell their personal memories of their time on the rock. The bad part of the listening devices was that the kids could claim that they really didn't hear me yell, "Get over here NOW!" and when I did yell I forgot that I had them on and I yelled really loud and everyone stood there staring at me. They play like a audio book and you can stop and play or rewind and fast forward the story. As you listen it tells you to walk to the left and look at this, then walk to the red door and go in and do this or that. Walk into this or that cell and close your eyes, walk over to the benches and sit down and stare out the window. So basically everyone becomes a robot that's controlled by the devices in their ears. The kids were walking zombies and whenever I told them to stay together they would say, "The voice says I have to go over to that room or the voice says I have to sit here." AHHHHHHHG! I wish those things had an emergency parental override command button. "Everyone get over here NOW or else!" Anyhow it was great and very educational.






No comments: